Career highlights compiled by wikipedia:
- Rated #15 NFL Player of all-time by NFL.com
- 8× Pro Bowl selection (1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1972)
- 5× First-team All-Pro selection (1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969)
- 3× Second-team All-Pro selection (1964, 1970,1972)
- NFL 75th Anniversary All-Time Team
- NFL 1960s All-Decade Team
- 2× NFL Defensive Player of the Year (1967, 1968)
- Rams Rookie of the Year award (1961)
- Unofficially holds the two highest season sack totals (26-1967) and (24-1968)
- St. Louis Rams #75 Retired
- Pro Football Hall of Fame Inductee
Salute to the man who created the sack in professional football. Jones died in Southern California yesterday. As imposing a physical figure the NFL ever has seen and ever will. Made it out the segregationist south and was in the first wave of black players who helped redefine the game. Played at Mississippi Valley State, Jerry Rice’s alma mater, even before it was known by that name (Mississippi Vocational).
For more on Deacon and the awesome defensive line he’s forever associated with — the Fearsome Foursome — watch their episode of the NFL Network’s great documentary series, A Football Life, in its entirety below.
Update: The NFL apparently wasn’t cool with this special being on YouTube anymore (surprising, I know), but go head and take this with ya.